• English

Sweden & Israel

Visits for longer than 90 days - documents

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for residence permit for a visit or, if you have special grounds, for a ‘D-visa’ (national visa).

Read more about residence permit for a visit and D-visas under ‘Basic facts’ in the menu below.

Applying for a residence permit for a visit

The forms must be completed either in Swedish or in English. Documents issued by the authorities in your country of origin must be translated into English or Swedish by an authorised translator.

You need:

  • The form Application for a visitor’s permit.
  • The form Family details – appendix to your application.
  • A passport or some other valid travel document. This must:
    - be valid for at least three months after your departure from the Schengen area
    - contain at least two empty pages
    - have been issued during the past ten years.
  • A copy of the first page in your passport, and of any extensions and/or name changes in the passport.
  • Two recently taken colour photographs in passport format that are no older than six months and are 45 mm x 35 mm in size. The photos must be taken against a light background and show you looking straight ahead.
  • A copy of your ticket for the return journey (we advise you not to pay for any air tickets before your visa has been granted).
  • If you are planning to visit relatives - documents showing how you are related.
  • And – if you are under 18 or are accompanied by children – the form Application for a visitor’s permit for a child. Note that additional documents are required for applicants under the age of 18. Check under ‘Minors – extra documents’.

The person you will be visiting in Sweden needs to submit the following documents:

Documents must not be older than three months.

  • The form Invitation – If you wish to invite a relative or friend to visit you, in the original.
  • Civic registration/family certificate (personbevis) for the purpose of the invitation.
  • Documents showing that the visitor has adequate means of support during his/her stay in Sweden. 

Application for a D-visa

You and the inviting person in Sweden need:

- All the documents required for the application for a residence permit for a visit (see above), except of the form Application for visitor´s permit.

- The form National visa (D-visa) (available in English only)

Last updated 15 Jun 2018, 3.04 PM