Sweden & Iran

Working in Sweden

In order to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit.

Appling for a work permit

You can apply online for a work permit or for a residence permit as a self-employed person or a visiting researcher at the Migration Agency’s website

As a rule you should apply for and have been granted a work permit before entering Sweden. When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to send in a complete application and increases your chances of a quick decision. Migration Agency’s website

If you are not able to apply online, you need to book an appointment at the Embassy and submit the application documents at the Embassy in person at the appointed time. 

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, check the Migration Agency’s website.

If you apply for residence permit at the Embassy, you need to pay the application fee in Rials to the Embassy's bank account. For more information regarding the fees please see Fees

Receiving the decision 

If you have applied online, you will receive an email confirming that a decision has been made.  Your employer will also receive a notification about the decision by mail.

If you have applied at the Embassy, you need to check for the decision at the Swedish Migration Agency website. Your employer will also receive a notification about the decision by mail. 

To book an appointment to collect your decision at the Embassy, please book an appointment

Residence permit card

If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. For more information read under Residence permit card

Basic information about: Working in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more