• English

Sweden & Indonesia

More than 90 days – apply for a visitor’s permit

If you are planning to visit Sweden temporarily but to stay longer than 90 days, you should apply for a visitor's permit.

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.

In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable since medical costs can be high.

For information and requirements for Visitor's permit please check Migration Agency's webpage - Visit Sweden for more than 90 days.

Apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to people that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Jakarta (Nationality of countries other than Indonesia must show an Indonesian residence permit/KITAS). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Jakarta. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken for a residence permit card.

Note that the residence permit card may take up to four weeks after you receive your decision until the card is made and delivered to the Embassy. It is NOT recommended for you to purchase any ticket before you collect your card. When you arrive in Sweden, you must present your residence card together with a valid passport.

National Visa (D Visa)

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law, special circumstances must apply in your case. Note that a family visit is not considered special circumstances, or that the processing time for a visitor's permit might be longer. The fact that you have previously been granted a D-visa does not automatically mean that you can get a new one.

All the documents required for Visitor's permit are to be submitted for D-visa application. Please check Migration Agency's website for requirements: Visit Sweden for more than 90 days.

The Embassy reserves the right to ask for further documentation if needed.
Submission of application for a D-visa to Sweden is accepted at the Embassy only during limited times based on appointment at 09.00 - 11.00 hrs. Please send e-mail to ambassaden.jakarta-visum@gov.se

In order to apply you need:

  • The National Visa (D-visa) (available in English only)
  • All documents required to apply for a visitor's permit.