• English

Sweden & Indonesia

Studying in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit. If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Board and are given priority. If you are applying online and do not need a visa to enter Sweden, you do not usually have to visit the Embassy. Regardless of how you apply, your permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden.

Apply for a residence permit to study online

If you cannot or do not want to apply online or wish to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the Swedish Embassy in person instead. Submission of application for a residence permit for study in Sweden is accepted at the Embassy only during limited times based on appointment at 09.00 - 11.00 hrs.We have limited time slots for submission.

Please book an appointment for submission of your application in prior to your visit.

Your application is sent to the Swedish Migration Agency for decision. The processing time may be longer than applications which are submitted online, therefore, prepare your application and documents well ahead of time specially if you need a residence permit card.

Note: You must have applied for and been granted a residence permit before entering Sweden.  

Check the status of your application

Processing time

Family members

A family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 18) may be granted a residence permit for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card.

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. The card proves that you have a residence permit.

It may take up to four weeks to process your residence permit card after your application has been granted. It is NOT recommended for you to purchase any tickets before collecting your residence permit card.

You can find more information about the residence permit card on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.


Rules and required documents

In general, to acquire a residence permit to study in Sweden, you must have been admitted to a fulltime course of study, you must have the means to support yourself and you must have a passport. You must arrange for your residence permit before leaving for Sweden.

The university or college may require a fee for the studies, of which a part must be paid in advance. Contact the university or college concerned for further information.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website. All the most important information on higher education in Sweden can be found on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden

Universities in Sweden

Studyinsweden.se is the official resource on higher education in Sweden for international students.

Guidance for international students outside EU/EES due to the ongoing situation with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Study in Sweden

Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Read more