• English

Sweden & Indonesia

Moving to someone in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with your family or a close relative, you need a residence permit. The Embassy of Sweden in Jakarta is responsible for applicants when the applicant is legally residing in Indonesia and Timor Leste.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden), a close relative may be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor): Residence cards for family members of EU/EEA

If you already have an ongoing application for residence permit in Sweden, you can check the status here.

If you want to move to a family member in Sweden, you need to apply for a residence permit. You can apply online on the Swedish Migration Agency’s website. On their website you also find information about the application process and required documents.

Your family member in Sweden can apply for you if you have given him/her a power of attorney. Information on power of attorney.

New Rules for passport check

The Swedish Migration Agency introduces new rules for better passport checks for residence permit applicants.

From 1 November 2022, applicants for a residence permit must show their passport at an in-person visit before the Swedish Migration Agency can grant a permit. The Migration Agency will contact affected applicants to schedule an appointmane with the Embassy for passport and identity control.

Read more about the new rules for stricter passport checks - Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se)

Applying and interview

The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

Follow the Swedish Migration Agency’s instructions for applying over the internet. Attach the documents electronically and pay the application fee using a credit or debit card.

Apply for a residence permit online

Your family member has to fill in a questionnaire. Once you have sent in your application, he or she will automatically receive an email with instructions. The family member must reply to the questions within two weeks.

Contact the Embassy once you have received an email from the Swedish Migration Agency to book a time for interview by sending an email to ambassaden.jakarta-visum@gov.se. 

In the email, state your personal details and your case number. 

Please refer to the Migration Section's contact information here.

Bring along your passport and the originals of the documents you attached to your application. The Swedish Migration Agency may ask you to bring additional documents to the interview.

Children applying for a residence permit are also interviewed. If the child is too young or unable to conduct an interview, the person looking after the child is interviewed instead.

Applicants residing in Timor Leste

Timorese citizens who have applied for a residence and work permit will be required to schedule an interview at the Swedish Embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia. Please refer to the Migration section's contact information here. Timorese citizens holding a passport with identity card number can travel directly to Sweden when your application has been granted. Whilst in Sweden, book a time online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website to leave biometrics for the residence permit card. The card will then be sent to your address in Sweden. 

After the interview

After the interview, your case is transferred back to the Swedish Migration Agency that will decide in your decision. If you have neither attended the interview nor made contact with the embassy to book an appointment in time, your case will be transferred to the Swedish Migration Agency and your application may be rejected.

Processing time

When the Swedish Migration Agency has decided in your decision, you will be informed through a valid email stated in your application. The actual decision will be sent to your family member in Sweden, if you have authorized him or her to represent you. Otherwise you will be informed of the decision by the embassy, which will contact you through email or calling the telephone number.

No decisions will be sent through email.

If you are granted the residence permit

After the application for residence permit  has been granted, the card will be ordered automatically if you have already been photographed and fingerprinted after the interview. If you have not been photographed and fingerprinted, you should contact the Embassy to make an appointment to provide biometric data. Bring your passport that registered in the application for identification.

It can take up to four weeks for the residence permit card to be made and delivered to the Embassy. Therefore, we do NOT recommed you to purchase any tickets before receiving your card. Once the card has arrived, you will receive notification to your email address that you registered in your application. You can book an appointment to collect your card. You must bring your passport with you. 

If you cannot be present at the Embassy to collect your card, you must authorize a third party to represent you. An original signed power of attorney must be written in English appointing someone else to collect the card on your behalf. Copy of the representative’s passport or ID must be attached to the power of attorney in order to identify the representative on the applicant’s behalf.

All residence permit cards are sent to the Swedish Embassy in Jakarta. The Embassy can only send the residence permit to the Consulate in Denpasar, Bali, not to private address.

GDPR Request

GDPR Request

Request for register extract, rectification, erasure or restriction of personal data in central systems.

GDPR Request

Basic information about: Moving to someone in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more