• English

Sweden & India

Family members of EU citizens

EU – Family members

Information for EU/EEA family members applying for a visa to enter the Schengen area.

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join to them in the area in order to settle down. You should then show that your inviting family member is exercising her or his right of free movement at the time (and forward) for submission of your application for Schengen visa.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse.
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependants, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependants direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner Please note that Swedish citizen living in Sweden are not exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore not hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country.

Basic facts

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area for up to 90 days. In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the MemberState) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage.

If there is any doubts about exercising the right of free movement, family relation, marriage, travel and the Embassy therefore finds that you have not showed that Directive 2004/38 is applicable, the Embassy will process your application according to the Schengen code, EG/810/2009.

How to apply for an entry visa

As a family member of an EU/EEA- citizen you may submit application at the Embassy without paying visa fee. You can also apply at one of VFS application centers after paying applicable service charges. For further information you can contact visa.new-delhi@gov.se . In the email you should attach a copy of your passport, your family member’s passport or national ID card as well as a document showing your relation. (See below under “Additional documents required”.)

Visit the Embassy

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must submit the following obligatory supporting documents along with the application at the Embassy or nearest VFS application centers.

  1. Application form.
  2. Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
  3. Proof of relation. E.g. marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  4. The EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card.
  5. If you are a dependant family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.

Additional documents

In addition to the documents listed above there might be, depending on the EU/ EES-citizen’s circumstances, some additional documents required showing your family member’s situation.

- If your family member is settled in Sweden you must provide their “Personbevis” from the tax office.

- If your family member is a citizen of Denmark, Norway, Finland or Iceland you must also provide documents showing your family member fulfil the criteria for having a right to residence in Sweden in accordance with the regulations in Directive 2004/38/EC. These documents could, depending on the situation, be a work contract and pay slips, a study certificate or documents showing your family member has sufficient income or bank assets to support themselves.

It is generally not necessary to submit any other documents, although the Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with valid travel insurance.

Wait for the decision

When you submit your application, you are given a receipt with information of when you can collect the decision and your passport. This visa category will be prioritized. However if consultation is necessary the process will usually take around 14 days.

More information Directive 2004/68/EC http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1487136010527&uri=CELEX%3A32004L0038 Swedish Migration Agency on EES family members https://www.migrationsverket.se/English/Private-individuals/EU-citizens-and-long-term-residents.html

Last updated 10 Jan 2018, 12.15 PM