Visiting relatives and friends
When applying for a visa to visit relatives and friends in Sweden, you must submit all of the following documents:
- A passport or other travel document, including copy, valid for at least a further three months after departing from Sweden.
- A completed application form, in Swedish or English. The application form for a Schengen visa may be downloaded here. It is also available at the Embassy or Consulate.
- Two  photographs of passport style and size [35 x 45 mm] for all applicants, including minors. Your photograph must be: – colour photo – recent and of true likeness – showing full face – taken without headgear – head coverings and hats are only acceptable due to religious beliefs, and even then, may not cover any portion of the applicant's face – taken against a plain, evenly lit and light background. Photographs that do not conform to these standards will be rejected and may cause delay in processing the application.
- Written invitation in Swedish or English. The invitation should contain information about the date and duration of the visit. The Embassy provides pre-printed letters of invitation or you may download it to the right, 'Invitation and Questionnaire concerning a person who wishes to visit you in Sweden'.
- A valid, personal travel insurance which covers costs for: – emergency treatment by a doctor – urgent ambulance transportation – transportation back to applicant's home country if required for medical reasons.
The insurance must cover at least 30,000 Euro and be valid in all Schengen states and cover the total length of stay.
- The referee in Sweden must also enclose proof of his/her own identity (personbevis) with the form. This can be requisitioned from the nearest local tax office or from the website of the Swedish National Tax Board. The referee must send the completed form and his/her proof of identity to you so that you can enclose them with your application.
If the guarantor is not a citizen of Sweden a copy of his/her Swedish residence permit is also required as well as a copy of his/her passport.
- Employment certificate from the guarantor or other information (copy of bank-book, salary statement or the like) verifying that funds for the stay are available. If costs for the visit are to be borne by applicant, financial proofs have to be submitted (bank statement, extract from bank book or the like).
- In cases where applicant has no reference in Sweden a letter from the employer has to be presented. It should be clear from the certificate that the applicant will still be employed after his/her return home. In these cases the applicant has to submit financial documentation such as extract from bank account, copy of the bank book or the like.
Your entry visa must be entered in your passport before your arrival in Sweden.