• English

Sweden & Hong Kong

Guide: Applying for a residence permit

When staying in Sweden for more than 90 days, citizens of Hong Kong and Macau need a residence permit. The purpose of stay determines what residence permit to apply for.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you are unable to apply online, a Swedish family member may help you fill out the electronic form, attach copies of documents and pay any application fee. 

Swedish Migration Agency web application

Where to hand in your application

If you apply for a residence permit online you shall make sure to choose the correct foreign mission abroad to handle your application. If you wish to apply at a foreign mission not in charge of your region, you must contact the foreign mission yourself beforehand, to see if they can handle your application.

If you choose not to apply online, you should hand in your application in person at the foreign mission in charge of your region.

The Consulate General of Sweden in Hong Kong does not handle migration matters. Biometrics cannot be left at the Consulate-General in Hong Kong. Residents of Hong Kong SAR and Macau SAR shall apply at the Swedish Embassy in Beijing, alternatively the Consulate-General of Sweden in Shanghai.

Last updated 14 Nov 2023, 11.11 AM