• English

Visas for family members to EU/EEA citizens Ethiopia

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC (the Movement directive) you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member, or join to them, in the area to settle there. 

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) valid for up to 90 days, which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area.

In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the Member State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner

Applications must be submitted at VFS Global. 

Required documents 

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must at submit the following obligatory supporting documents at the appointment at the Embassy:

  • Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
  • Proof of relation. E.g. marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • Copy of the EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card.
  • If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.


When the Movement Directive is not applicable

PLEASE NOTE that Swedish citizen living in Sweden are NOT exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore NOT hold a right of residence based on the Movement Directive in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country. The same goes for Norwegians living in Norway.

The Movement Directive does also not apply when the EU/EEA citizen is only travelling to Sweden or Norway for a short visit e.g. as tourist. In these cases the Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 (Visa Code) is applicable and there is an application fee. 

Last updated 09 Feb 2022, 10.44 AM