• English

Sweden & Ethiopia

Visiting Sweden


From 8 February 2022 applications for Schengen visas to Sweden and Norway are processed by the Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi. Applications for Schengen visas to Sweden and Norway, as the main destination, must be submitted at VFS Global’s Application Center in Addis Abeba, not at the Embassy of Sweden in Addis Ababa. More information can be found on How to apply.

The government of Sweden has decided not to extend the entry ban to Sweden from countries outside the EU/EEA and the current entry ban will cease to apply 1 April 2022. From this date there will be no requirement to present vaccination certificate nor test certificate when entering Sweden. More information can be found on the government’s website Sweden to lift ban on entry from all countries - Government.se


Basic Facts 

If you want to visit Sweden and you are not a citizen of the EU/EEA, you may need to apply for a visa. A Schengen visa is valid throughout the Schengen area but you should apply to the country that is the main destination for the journey. 

Visas can be granted for such purposes as for example:

  • Business visits
  • Participation in cultural or sporting events
  • Study and research
  • Visits to relatives and friends
  • Tourism
  • Medical
  • Official visits

You can submit your application at the earliest six months before your planned visit. Apply as far in advance as possible, especially during the peak season. 

A visa can be granted for between 1 and 90 days. How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and during which time period is stated on the permit sticker attached to your travel document. A period of grace of 15 days are normally added to a Schengen visa which means that the duration of time will be 15 days longer than applied for BUT the visa is only valid for the numbers of days applied for. 

A visa does not automatically mean you can enter the Schengen area. Entry checks are always made at external border points. Therefore, it is a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in your being denied entry.

Visits longer than 90 days

If you know that you will need to stay in Sweden for longer than three months, you should apply for a residence permit for a visit or a national visa, known as a ‘D-visa’. Such permits are decided in accordance with national Swedish rules. 

Basic information about: Visiting Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more