• English

Sweden & Egypt

Working in Sweden

You must have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. If you are granted a permit for more than three months, you will receive a residence permit card. Special rules apply for EU/EEA citizens, their relatives and long-term residents in the EU.

What is required to get a work permit?

If you want to work in Sweden, you must have an offer of employment from an employer in Sweden.

To get a permit, you must also:

  • Have a valid passport.
  • Earn enough from employment to support yourself.

In addition, your employer must:

  • Have advertised the job vacancy in Sweden and the EU.
  • Offer terms of employment equivalent to a Swedish collective agreement or customary terms for the occupation or industry.
  • Give the relevant union an opportunity to state an opinion on the terms of the offer of employment.

You and the employer are responsible for showing the Migration Agency that the requirements above have been met. You do this by completing the application form for employees and the employer completes the Offer of Employment form.

Where do you apply for a residence and work permit?

The main rule is that people who want to work in Sweden must apply for a residence and work permit in the country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which you reside.

Where do I apply?

If you are outside Sweden, you apply electronically on the Migration Agency website.

You can also apply at the Embassy/Consulate in the country where you reside.

You must always append the following documents to your application:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Offer of Employment
  • Receipt showing that you have paid the application fee.

Please note: If you are a student or a doctoral student at a university/ college you do not need a work permit to be able to work during your studies.

How long is the permit valid?

If the employment is temporary, you will be issued a residence and work permit valid only for the same period, but for a maximum of two years at a time.

After 48 months, you will become eligible for a permanent residence permit.

Further information

In order to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit.

Read more about at Swedish Migration Agency on how to apply for a work permit or for a residence permit as a self-employed person or a visiting researcher.


Basic information about: Working in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more