Sweden & China


If you are not satisfied with the decision you have been given, you can appeal it.

The appeal must be in writing, signed by yourself, and submitted or delivered to the Swedish Mission Abroad where the decision was made no later than three weeks after the date you were formally notified of the decision.

The appeal must state:

  • Which decision you wish to appeal.
  • Your name, date of birth, postal address, telephone number and e-mail.
  • How you want the decision to be changed.
  • Any circumstances or evidence/proof that you wish to add to your case.

If someone else signs the appeal on your behalf, that person must be authorised to represent you (power of attorney). The power of attorney document must be signed by you and submitted in original together with your appeal.

Upon receiving an appeal, the Swedish Mission Abroad will review the original decision. If the decision maker decides not to change the decision, the appeal is transferred to the Migration Court in Sweden, who then makes an independent decision. If the Swedish Mission Abroad wants to change the decision, you will be contacted in a few days. But if the Swedish Mission Abroad decides not to change the decision and forwards the appeal to the Migration Court in Sweden, the waiting time would be longer. In that case you can contact the Swedish Migration Court directly.

Website: https://www.domstol.se/migrationsdomstolen-vid-forvaltningsratten-i-stockholm/

E-mail: forvaltningsrattenistockholm@dom.se