Sweden & China

EU Citizen Family Members

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join them in the area in order to settle down.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse.
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependents direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner.

Please note that Swedish citizen living in Sweden are not exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore not hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country.

Basic facts

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area for up to 90 days. In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the Member State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

If there are any doubts about exercising the right of free movement, family relation, marriage and travel, and the Embassy of Sweden in Beijing or the Consulate-General of Sweden in Shanghai therefore finds that you have not showed that Directive 2004/38 is applicable, the Embassy or the Consulate-General will instead process your application according to the Visa Code.

Last updated 24 May 2018, 2.54 PM