• English

Sweden & Bangladesh

Information for EU/EEA family members

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join them in the area to settle there.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner/common law spouse
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependents, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependent direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner

Please note that Swedish citizen living in Sweden are not exercising EU treaty rights and they do therefore not hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country.

Basic facts

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area for up to 90 days.

In the event that you wish to remain in the State for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen in the Member State. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage.  

How to apply for an entry visa

Applications for Schengen visas for this purpose is free of charge; service fees may be applicable if application is handed in at visa service center.

Required documents:

  1. Application form. Can be found here: Visit Sweden for less than 90 days – apply for a visa - Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se)
  1. Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
  2. Proof of relation. E.g.marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  3. The EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card
  4. If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.

Additional documents

In addition to the documents listed above there might be, depending on the EU/ EES-citizen’s circumstances, some additional documents required showing your family member’s situation.

You must also provide documents showing your family member fulfil the criteria for having a right to residence in Sweden in accordance with the regulations in Directive 2004/38/EC. These documents, could, depending on the situation, be a proof of accommodation, work contract and pay slips, a study certificate or documents showing your family member has sufficient income or bank assets to support themselves.

 If your family member is not settled in Sweden or in the represented member states you may be asked to provide some documents, e.g. flight tickets, or a brief travel plan, showing that you and your family member intend to move and reside within the territory of the EU/EEA member states.

It is generally not necessary to submit any other documents, although the Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with valid travel insurance.

Checklist family members.docx

More information

Directive 2004/38/EC

EUR-Lex - 32004L0038 - EN - EUR-Lex (europa.eu)

Swedish Migration Agency on EES family members

EU/​EEA citi­zens and long-term resi­dents - Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se)

Last updated 31 Mar 2022, 12.11 PM