Sweden & Italy

Checklist for adults

(over 18 years)

In order to complete and procced a new passport/National ID-card application for a person over 18, you need to present the following original documents:

  • the form "Verification of Swedish citizenship" which must be completed when you come to the Embassy. This form is mandatory for everyone applying for a passport and id-card abroad, even if you already have a passport. 
  • id-card with information on citizenship from the country of residence or a certificate of right of residence (In Italy - Attestazione di soggiorno permanente per i cittadini dell'Unione Europea);
  • decision on citizenship, in cases where you received Swedish or foreign citizenship after application or notification (not from birth);
  • international marriage certificate, if you obtained foreign citizenship through marriage;
  • decision on retaining of Swedish citizenship, for those persons who had to apply to the Migration Agency between the ages of 18 and 22;
  • international birth certificate, showing the names of both parents (estratto di nascita con generalità plurilingue), must be included if you have a coordination number (samordningsnummer) and never lived in Sweden;
  • your old passport. If your passport has expired, it is possible to prove your identity also with: Swedish or Italian ID card, Swedish driving license or Italian passport. You cannot prove your identity with an emergency/provisional passport or with ID documents issued by other countries (except Sweden and Italy).

In some cases, the Embassy may require additional documents to establish citizenship.

Here you will find information about valid ID documents  and approved certificate issuers.

The fee for a passport or ID card can be paid by credit card (Visa and Mastercard/Eurocard) or in cash when the application is submitted. The amount in EURO may vary depending on the current exchange rate, updated exchange rate under fees.

If you have previously received a coordination number (samordningsnummer), new rules apply from 18 June 2021.

A coordination number that is not in use may be registered as dormant. It happens automatically after 5 years. More information is available at Coordination number - Sweden Abroad and the Swedish Tax Agency.