Co-ordination Number for Children
Co-ordination Number/Swedish Personal Number: If you want to apply for a Swedish passport for your child
A Co-ordination Number is issued instead of a Swedish Personal Number to children born outside of Sweden. Parents apply for a Co-ordination Number only when they intend to apply for a Swedish passport for their child.
The following documents are required when applying for a Co-ordination Number:
- Both parents must come to the Embassy with the child and present their valid passports or identity cards
- Original Birth Certificate, in which both parents names are shown
- Marriage Certificate, if married
- Extract from the population register (regarding the parent(s), i.e. the one(s) that is/are (a) Swedish citizen(s)) from Skatteverket, maximum one month old
Call Skatteverket at +46 8 564 851 60 and ask them to email it directly to the Embassy at email@example.com or order it online from Skatteverkets website.
- If the mother is a Swedish citizen and registered in Sweden and gives birth to a child outside of Sweden a Medical Certificate (in which a doctor or the equivalent to a doctor verifies that the mother has carried the child) has to be submitted.
The application is free of charge for children born after 1 April 2015. A fee is required for children born before the said date.
- The processing time for a Co-ordination Number could take up to 8-12 weeks.
- It is not possible to apply for a Co-ordination Number directly at Skatteverket in Sweden. This has to be made in person at the Embassy.