Sweden has had a permanent diplomatic presence in Israel since 1951. The former private-owned villa on Kaplan Street in Herzliya Pituah was acquired by the Swedish Government in 1989 and was shortly thereafter renovated to serve as the Swedish Ambassador's residence. Thanks to 120 square meters of solar panels on the roof, the residence is not only self-sufficient when it comes to green energy - it is also a net producer with the surplus being sold to the city's electricity grid.
The villa on Kaplan Street in Herzliya Pituah was originaly built in 1982, with materials and details of high quality. It functioned as a private residence for an Israeli family until 1989, when the property was acquired by the Swedish Government. The villa is inspired by modernism with clean volumes, smooth facades and flat roofs. The task to repurpose the villa to an Ambassador's residence was given to Architecht Bo Myrenberg.
In 2010 the residence underwent a major renovation, including the installation of 120 square meters of solar panels on the roof. These solar panels have worked beyond all expectations and made the residence not only self-sufficient when it comes to green energy - it has also made it a net producer with the surplus being sold to the city's electricity grid.