Voting in the parliamentary elections 2022

18 Jul 2022

In the 2022 elections, everyone who has the right to vote and is abroad can either vote by mail or vote at embassies and consulates.

If you are a Swedish citizen, have reached or turn 18 at the latest on election day on 11 September, live abroad, and have been registered in Sweden, you have the right to vote in parliamentary elections.

As a Swede abroad, you need to register in the electoral register (röstlängden) every ten years to remain in it, and to have a voting card and materials for postal voting sent to you. The electoral register is drawn up before each election and is based on the information contained in the Swedish Tax Agency's population register.

You register for the electoral register by using the Swedish Tax Agency's form called Ny adress/röstlängd för utvandrad (SKV 7842). Several people in a family can register on the same form. You can find the form via and at this link.

The form is used if you have emigrated from Sweden and want to:               

- sign up for the electoral register or
- register a new address when you move during your time abroad

A new ten-year period starts if you register a new address abroad or register that you want to remain in the electoral register. Please note that you must have been registered in Sweden at some point in order to be able to register for the electoral register. Sign up well in advance, the voting cards will be sent out in July.

If you have questions about registration in the electoral register  or information in the population register, you can contact the Swedish Tax Agency: Tel: + 46 8 564 851 60
E-mail form for questions is available at under contact us

If you have questions about voting rights and other election-related matters, you can read more at Here you will also find contact information for the Election Authority.

Last updated 22 Jul 2022, 11.51 AM