• English

Sweden & Vietnam

Visit for longer than 90 days

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor's permit. The Embassy of Sweden in Hanoi represents Vietnam for visits longer than 90 days.

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.

In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. A medical travel insurance is compulsory.

Applying online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Hanoi (applicants residing in Vietnam). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Hanoi. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken.

National visa (D-visa)

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law, special circumstances must apply in your case. A family visit is not considered special circumstances, or that the processing time for a visitor's permit might be longer. The fact that you have previously been granted a D-visa does not automatically mean that you can get a new one.

In order to apply you need:

  • The application form (available in English only)
  • All documents required to apply for a visitor's permit.

The Embassy reserves the right to ask for further documentation if needed.

    Migration fees

    Please revert to the complete list of application fees for information about fees for migration services at the Embassy. Fee must be paid in cash at the Embassy.

    Last updated 16 Feb 2024, 10.56 AM