• English

Sweden & Vietnam

Required documents

If you wish to apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden, you need the documents below.

If you will be studying at a university or college, you can apply online. In that case, you attach the documents electronically.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the requisite documents to the embassy, together with the completed application form described below.

Documents required by all students

You need:
•If you are not applying online, form no. 105031, Application for residence permit for students and doctoral students.

•Copies of the pages in your passports showing your personal data and the validity of the passport. If you have permission to be in a country other than your country of origin, you must send a copy of these pages as well.

•Statement of admission or letter of acceptance showing that you have been admitted to a fulltime course of studies.

•A statement of account from your bank confirming that you have money of your own to support yourself with. The statement of account that you attach with the application should be dated at the time of your application and be translated into English.


•A document issued in your name showing that you have received a scholarship or a similar means of support (e.g. a student grant) and describing both the monthly sum and the period during which you will receive the money.


•A document showing that you have received a training grant (applies to doctoral students) or a studentship, with details of the amount(s) and the period concerned. •A receipt of payment for your application for a residence permit (if you have not applied online).

Students at university or university college

If you wish to study at university or university college, you need:
•The documents required by all applicants (see above)

•A copy of the document showing that you have comprehensive health insurance valid in Sweden (if you will be studying for less than a year). If you are covered by insurance from the university or university college (institute) concerned, you must send a certificate showing this.

Students at folk high school and upper secondary school

If you wish to study at a folk high school or an upper secondary school, you need:
•The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Other studies

If you wish to pursue a course that is not associated with a university, a university college, an upper secondary school or a folk high school, you need: •The documents required by all applicants (see above)

Documents required by your accompanying family

If your family is accompanying you to Sweden, you can apply on their behalf in your own application. Family members need:
•If you are using a paper form, or if the family will be applying at a later date, form no. 135011, Application for co-applicants to students/doctoral students.

•Copies of the pages in the passport that show your identity, your citizenship and the passport’s period of validity.

•Documents that confirm your kinship. Documents issued by public authorities in your country of origin are to be submitted together with a translation by an authorised translation agency.

•A document such as a statement of account from a bank proving that the family member has sufficient means of support (in English).

Exchange students

In the case of exchange students, other rules and documents apply.

Read more on the Swedish Migration Angency's website.