• English

Sweden & Vietnam

Applying for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Applying online is the smoothest way of applying as the online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, or wish to study elsewhere than at a university or college, you present the application documents at the Swedish Embassy in person instead.

Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, please read the information below.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.