• English

Sweden & United States

Apply for a residence permit

All foreign nationals – including U.S. citizens – who plan to move to Sweden or stay in Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit before entering the country.

This application can be submitted in person or by mail to the Embassy in Washington OR to any of the Swedish Consulates in the United States except for the Consulate General in New York and the consulates within its consular district (Boston, Jamestown and Philadelphia).

Residence permit interviews
As of January 1, 2019, all residence permit interviews will be conducted by the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C. 

When you have received your notification from the Migration Agency to schedule your interview, please contact the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C.

Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:

• Residence Permit for visitor’s application form (#165011) or 2 copies of Application for Child under 18 (#167011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.

• Notarized copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.

• Bank statement.

• Return ticket.

• Appendix D: Family Details Appendix for Applicants (form #239011)

• A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international insurance for 

- any emergency medical expenses
- emergency hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons 

Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 (equivalent USD 37,000) and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.

Please note that an insurance card is not sufficient proof of coverage. You must have proof of the above items.

• Application fee, in the form of one money order or certified bank check, payable to the Embassy of Sweden OR to the Swedish Consulate you submit your application to.

• Additional document(s) depending on reason to visit. Please contact the Embassy for more information.

How much does it cost?

Application fees can be found in the Service Fees list.

When the Embassy or Consulate receives the application, a personal interview will be scheduled with you.

As soon as all the documents have been received your case will be forwarded to the Swedish Migration Agency.

For processing time, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency´s website.

If you are granted a residence permit and you are a U.S Citizen you are able to submit the biometric data for the residence permit card in Sweden.

If you require a visa in order to travel to Sweden, you will have to submit the biometric data at the Embassy and receive your residence permit card before entering Sweden.