• English

Sweden & United Arab Emirates

Basic facts

If you want to visit Sweden and you are not a citizen of the EU/EEA, you may need a visa. A visa gives you permission to enter and stay in Sweden for a short period. It is valid throughout the Schengen area, but you apply to the country that is the main destination for the journey.

Visas can be granted for such purposes as:

  • Business visits
  • Participation in cultural or sporting events
  • Visits to relatives and friends
  • Tourism.

You can submit your application at the earliest 6 months before your planned visit. Apply as far in advance as possible. An application for a Schengen visa must submitted at least 15 days before the start of the intended visit. 

A visa can be granted for between 1 and 90 days and with 1,2 or multiple entries. You have to make use of these days within a given time frame (period of validity).

How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and for how long altogether, is stated on the visa sticker attached to your travel document.

If the visa is valid for more than 6 months, you can stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days.

A visa does not automatically mean that you can enter the Schengen area. Entry checks are always made at external border points. So it is a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in being denied entry.

It is the Embassy or Consulate that decides whether you are to be granted a visa. In certain cases, the matter is referred to the Swedish Migration Agency for a decision.

Read more about visa applications in the menu on the left and on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

Visits longer than 90 days

If you know when applying that you will need to stay in Sweden for longer than three months, you should not apply for a Schengen visa but for a residence permit for a visit. This permit is exmined in accordance with national Swedish rules. 

An application for a residence permit for a visit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is taken. If the application is granted, residence permits are usually issued for between 3 and 12 months.

If you are to be granted a residence permit for a visit, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden, not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money for your return journey.

Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable, since medical costs can be high.