• English

Sweden & Uganda

Apply for a residence permit to study in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit.

If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

The quickest and easiest way of applying for a residence permit to study at universities and colleges in Sweden is to apply online. Online applications go directly to the Swedish Migration Board and are given priority.

Online application on the Swedish Migration Agency website

If you cannot or do not want to apply online, or wish to study elsewhere than at university or college, you present the application documents at the Embassy of Sweden in person instead. You can submit an application in person at the Embassy, to submit please e-mail for an appointment.

Rules and required documents

To find out which rules apply, which documents are required and how you apply, go back to the menu.

If you are interested in studying at university/college level in Sweden, you can find a full range of information on the Study in Sweden website.

Study in Sweden

Last updated 06 Feb 2022, 2.44 PM