• English

Sweden & Uganda

Apply for a resident permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife or a child (a minor). Please read more about it here

The general rule is that anyone living in Sweden should be able to support themselves and their family members who may be granted residence permits. The maintanence requirement will not apply, under certain conditions, to those who have been granted residence permits in Sweden as persons in need of protection. One important requirement is that close relatives must apply for residence permits within three months of the date on which the person in need of protection was granted a residence permit.


The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you are unable to apply online, please ask your family members in Sweden to fill out the electronic application form, attach copies of documents and pay any application fee.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you are still unable or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application in person at the Embassy of Sweden. To book an appointment kindly e-mail us. 

Please find the application forms and requriements here

Rules and required documents

Read about the rules, which documents are required and how to apply step by step by going back to the menu.