• English

Sweden & Thailand

Visit longer than 90 days

Please note that the Embassy represents Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, and third country nationals with residence and work permit in Malaysia for visits longer than 90 days.

If you are planning to stay longer than 90 days, you need to apply for a visitor's permit. An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a resident permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.

Requirements for Visitor's Permit

If you are to be granted a residence permit for a visit in Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden, not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable since medical costs can be high.

Please make sure to apply as early as possible, since all documents need to be sent to Sweden.

From March 1, 2018, submission of application for a residence permit for a visit to Sweden is accepted at the Embassy only during limited times as follows: Monday and Thursday at 08.00 - 10.00 hrs. Please check the opening and submission hours during the current situation of Covid-19. 

Applicants from the Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos and third country nationals with residence and work permit in Malaysia must book an appointment for submission at the Embassy if  English/Swedish/Thai cannot be communicated. An email request should be sent to 

A basic requirement is that all documents should be submitted in original and written in Swedish or English. Documents written in other languages in general have to be translated into Swedish or English.

1. You must have an invitation 

The person you are visiting in Sweden must fill out the form Invitation, number 241011, and send it to you. He or she must also enclose a copy of their passport, ID or similar document proving their identity. Scroll down to download the stated form.

2. Fill out an application 

Fill out the forms Application for a visitor's permit and Family details. In your application, you enter information about yourself and the person you intend to visit. Scroll down to download the stated forms. 

If you have children under the age of 18 who will come with you to Sweden, use the form Application for a visitor's permit for children under the age of 18, number 167011. Fill out a separate form for each child. Scroll down to download the stated form. 

Along with these application forms, you must hand in the following:

  • the invitation form, copy of the passport, ID or similar document for the person you intend to visit
  • account statement or other document showing that you have sufficient funds for your time in Sweden
  • copies of your passport or travel document
  • one recently taken colour photograph in passport format that is no older than six months and is 45 mm x 35 mm in size. The photo must be taken against a light background and show you looking straight ahead. Photo cannot be retouched
  • a return ticket or other document showing that you have sufficient funds to buy one.
  • Bank receipt showing that you have paid the application fee


Application for a Visitor's Permit

Application for a Visitor's Permit for a child under the age of 18 

Family Details – appendix to your application

Invitation Form - English

Invitation Form - Swedish

 3. Submitting your application 

You must hand in your application and all supporting documents at the Embassy.

If you have paid a fee you should bring the receipt to the Embassy. 

4. Interview 

You will have to go through an interview in connection to submitting your application. During the interview, you will be asked to answer questions about your visit to Sweden. Children who are applying must also come to the interview. 

If you are granted a residence permit you will be issued with a residence permit card. The card contains, among other things, your fingerprints and a photograph of you. Therefor you will be photographed and fingerprinted in connection with the interview. The fingerprints and photograph will only be stored in the chip on the card. 

5. The Migration Agency processes the application 

After your interview, your application will be sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the case is processed and a decision is made. The handling time is usually at least 2 months. 

6. You receive the decision

When you come to collect your decision, you must bring your passport. Signed power of attorney must be given to a third party if you cannot collect the decision by yourself.

The permit's period of validity

A visitor's permit is usually valid for no more than six months, or up to one year. This permit is only valid for a visit, and you may not work or take up residence in Sweden.

Don't forget insurance

You will not become a registered resident of Sweden, and will therefore not be entitled to any social benefits. For this reason, it is important that you have insurance to cover any costs that may arise in the event of illness or an accident.

If the Swedish Migration Agency refuses your application

If the Migration Agency does not grant you a residence permit, you may appeal the decision within three weeks of the day you received it. Information on how to do this can be found in the decision.

7. Residence permit card 

Since your visit is longer than three months, you will be given a residence permit card to show that you have the right to be in Sweden. This card must have a photograph of you as well as your fingerprints. You must therefore have your photo and fingerprints taken at the Embassy. This can be done when you apply or anytime during the process. When the residence card is ready, you must collect it from Embassy.

Note that it may take up to four weeks after you receive your decision until the card is made and delivered to the Embassy. It is NOT recommended for you to purchase any ticket before you collect your card. When you arrive in Sweden, you must present your residence card together with a valid passport. 

More information about the residence permit card

National Visa (D Visa)

A national visa (D-visa) is only issued in exceptional cases. According to the law, special circumstances must apply in your case. Note that a family visit is not considered special circumstances, or that the processing time for a visitor's permit might be longer. The fact that you have previously been granted a D-visa does not automatically mean that you can get a new one.

You and the inviting person in Sweden need:

  • Form National visa (D-visa) (available in English only)
  • All the documents required for the application of a residence permit for a visit

**The Embassy reserves the right to ask for further documentation if needed**

The decision is made at the Embassy. You cannot appeal against the decision. 


National Visa (D-visa)