• English

Sweden & Thailand

Frequently asked questions

Visit and telephone hours
The reception of the Migration Section is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday between 08.00-10.00 for all visitors. No appointment is needed prior to your visit. The reception is closed on Wednesdays.

Telephone hours is Monday to Thursday between 13.30 – 15.00. Friday between 10.30 – 12.00. Telephone number: +66-(0)2-263 72 11.

A list of holidays can be found here

What are the regulations for travelling to Sweden at the moment and is it possible to get a visa?
The entry ban ended 31 March 2022, meaning that no corona specific entry restrictions are in effect from 1 April 2022. Negative test or vaccine certificates are not required to enter Sweden. Ordinary entry requirements applies, like holding a valid travel document, and possibly a visa. More information is available here.

How to read a visa sticker
For information on how to read a visa sticker, click here.

Residence permit cards
The processing time of your residence and work permit card is usually 4 weeks after the decision has been made. If your residence permit is not yet valid, the card will be produced 1-2 months before the validity of the permit starts. You will get an e-mail to the e-mail address stated in the application once your card arrives at the Embassy. After the card reaches the Embassy, you can collect it during the Migration Section's opening hours by presenting your passport. 

The Embassy do not provide courier services to your personal home address or Swedish Consulates in Thailand.

If you are registered with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) in Sweden and have submitted biometrics, your residence permit card will be sent to your Swedish address. Cards that are sent to Swedish addresses are of the responsibility of the applicant and the applicant him or herself must arrange for the card to be dispatched from Sweden to another address if needed.  

Schengen visas (visits under 90 days)
Applications from applicants residing in Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Japan and South Korea are handled at the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok via VFS Global in the respective countries.

To apply for a Schengen visa, visit the VFS Global office in your country and hand in your application. More information available here.

How do I appeal against a decision?
Submit a written letter of appeal to the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok. Your appeal must reach the Embassy within 3 weeks from the date that you have been notified of the decision. Your appeal will be referred to the Administrative court in Stockholm if the Embassy doesn't change the decision. For more information on how to appeal, read the information on the last page of the decision.

The Administrative court in Stockholm handles the Embassy's appeals. If you have any queries during the appeal process, please contact the Administrative court in Stockholm directly. 

Visitor's permit (visits over 90 days)
How to apply 
Applications for visitor's permits (visits over 90 days) is handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok, Thailand. Apply and pay the application fee through the e-service here

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Bangkok. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken. After submission, your application will be processed by the Swedish Migration Agency.

How do I appeal? 
The decision is made by the Swedish Migration Agency. A written appeal should be submitted to the Swedish Migration Agency. More information is available at the last page of the decision.  

Residence and work permit 
Apply online at the Swedish Migration Agency’s website here.

What is my case/control number?
When you have applied for residence or work permit, an e-mail will be sent to you and/or the reference person/employer in Sweden. The e-mail is sent to the e-mail address stated in the application. This e-mail contains number. If you have not received an e-mail with the number, contact the reference person/employer in Sweden or the person that submitted the application. You can also contact the Swedish Migration Agency directly,.

When will I get a decision?
General information about estimated processing times is available at the Swedish Migration Agency’s website here.

What is the status of my application? 
You can check the status of the Swedish Migration Agency’s website here. Residence and work permits are processed by the Swedish Migration Agency. If you have questions about your application, contact the Swedish Migration Agency directly.

How do I get a copy of my residence/work permit decision? 
A copy of the decision can be collected at the Embassy. If you have given a power of attorney to a person in Sweden, the decision will be sent to this person/organization. 

Last updated 31 May 2023, 9.50 AM