• English

Sweden & Sudan

Required documents

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to move to a family member in Sweden who is not a citizen of the EU/EEA either, you need the documents below.

If you apply online, you attach the documents electronically. However, you have to present the originals of the documents when you visit the Embassy.

If you apply on a paper form, you have to bring all the requisite documents to the Embassy, together with the completed special application form described below.

Before visiting the Embassy you have to schedule an appointment by sending a request using our booking form.

All documents should be presented in original plus one (1) copy. Documents not written in Swedish or English must be translated to one of these languages by a certified translator. You should then bring the original plus one (1) copy in original language, plus the certified translation.

Documents required by all applicants

 You need:

  • The application form Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden, form no. 161011.
  • The form Family details, form no. 239011.
  • Copies of the pages in your passport which show your personal information, photograph, signature (where appropriate), passport number, passport issuing country, the passport's period of validity and permission to live in countries other than your country of origin. If your passport is about to expire, you should renew it as you cannot obtain a permit for longer than the validity of your passport.
  • A receipt for the payment of the application fee (unless you are exempted, see more under Fees).

Married couples, registered partners or common law spouses

If you are married, registered partners or common law spouses, you need the following:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above).
  • Wedding certificate or marriage certificate.
  • Any document proving that the marriage is registered in your country of origin.

If you and the person in Sweden have lived together in the country of origin or another country, you must also enclose:

  • A population registration certificate, a rental contract or purchase certificate for a residence or another document that proves that you have a joint residence.
  • Documents which show that you have lived together, for example, a rental contract containing both your names or bills with your names and address for an earlier period of time.

You need to enclose documents showing what your relationship is. If you have lived together in your country of origin, you must enclose documents that prove this. The documents you are enclosing along with the information in the application help the Migration Agency decide if you can get a residence permit and the period of validity of the permit.

If you are pregnant, you must also enclose:

  • A certificate of pregnancy.

If you are unmarried, you must also enclose:

  • A civil registration certificate or similar that proves you are unmarried.

Children under age

If you have children under 18 accompanying you to Sweden you can apply for a residence permit for them in your application.

Children under age need:

  • The documents required by all applicants (see above), although with the application form Application for a residence permit for a child under the age of 18 to settle in Sweden, form no. 163011.
  • A birth certificate where the parents' names are indicated, or
  • Adoption papers if the child is adopted.
  • Consent for the child moving with you to Sweden from the other custodian if they are not accompanying you to Sweden, or
  • A court decision if you have sole custody or a death certificate if the other parent is deceased.

In Sweden, both custodians have the right to participate in decisions concerning the child. Therefore, the other custodian who is not coming to Sweden must give consent for the child to move to Sweden. Consent can be in the form of a letter signed by the other custodian which states that he or she approves of the child moving.