• English

Sweden & Singapore

Study in Sweden

If you will be studying in Sweden for more than three months and you are not an EU citizen, you need a residence permit. If you will be studying for less than three months, you may need a visa instead.


Applications for residence permits to study at universities and colleges in Sweden are submitted online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Information on the Migration Agency's website:

Apply for a residence permit to study online

5 tips to increase your chances of a deci­sion before the semester

Check the status of your application

Processing time

Passport check and biometrics

Applicants for a residence permit must show their passport at an in-person visit before the Swedish Migration Agency can grant a permit. The Migration Agency will contact affected applicants to schedule an appointment with the Embassy or Consulate General for passport and identity control. This cannot be done before you receive the instruction from the Migration Agency. If you require a residence permit card to enter Sweden you will submit biometrics at the same time.

For applicants residing in Singapore and Brunei the Embassy is open for check of passports and biometrics for residence permits cards on Tuesdays and Thursdays 9am-12pm. No appointment is necessary.


The fee differ depending on what kind of permit you apply for. The fees are available here.

When the decision is made

List of countries whose citizens need a visa

If you have been granted a residence permit for studies and do not require a visa to enter Sweden, you can travel to Sweden once the residence permit for studies has been granted. When in Sweden, book an appointment online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website to leave biometrics for the residence permit card. The card will then be sent to your address in Sweden.

A copy of the decision/approval may be needed, please collect it at the Embassy during our opening hours Monday to Friday 09.00 to 12.00.  No appointment is required. For identification purposes, please bring your ID or passport with you when collecting the decision. 

If your application is approved and you need a visa to enter Sweden you should visit the Embassy to leave biometrics for a residence permit card. 

It usually takes 4-5 weeks for the card to be delivered to the Embassy. Once the Embassy has received the card, you will be informed by email. You can collect it, no appointment is required, on Monday - Friday (except public holiday) between 09.00 to 12.00. For identification purpose please bring your passport or ID with you.

You can find more information about the residence permit card on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.

It the residence permit is refused

If your application has been denied, please see relevant information on the Migration Agency's website. 

Family members

A family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 18) may be granted a residence permit for the same period as the student, on condition that they meet the requirements specified. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card.

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Rules and required documents

All the most important information on higher education in Sweden can be found on the Study in Sweden websiteand on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

The Swedish Migration Agency handles and decides in applications for residence permit in Sweden and the Embassy cannot influence the decision. If you have questions regarding student permits you can contact the Swedish Migration Agency. 

Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more