• English

Sweden & Singapore

Moving to someone in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with your family or a close relative, you need a residence permit. The Embassy of Sweden in Singapore is responsible for applications when the applicant is legally residing in Singapore or Brunei.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).

Residence cards for family members of EU/EEA

Application and interview

The application for residence permit in Sweden is done online on the Swedish Migration Agency's website.

Your family member has to fill in a questionnaire. Once you have sent in your application, he or she will automatically receive an email with instructions. The family member must reply to the questions within two weeks.

Contact the Embassy once you have received an email from the Swedish Migration Agency to book a time for interview by sending an email to migration.singapore@gov.se.

In the e-mail, state your personal details and your case number. 

Bring your passport and the originals of the documents you attached to your application to the interview. The Swedish Migration Agency may also have asked you to bring additional documents to the interview.

You may need to be photographed and fingerprinted for the residence permit card you will receive if you are granted a residence permit. This also applies to children.

Passport check

Applicants for a residence permits must show their passport at an in-person visit before the Swedish Migration Agency can grant a permit. The Migration Agency will contact affected applicants to schedule an appointment with the Embassy or Consulate General for passport and identity control.

This can normally be done at the same time as the interview.

Interviews with children 

Children applying for residence permit are also interviewed. If the child is too young or unable to conduct an interview, the person looking after the child is interviewed instead.


All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassy and are free of charge. The Embassy has nothing to do with any individuals who offer these services for payment, and no agencies can influence the waiting time. If you for some reason are unable to apply online, it is possible to give a power of attorney to the person you are moving to. He or she can then submit the application in the e-service for you.

Fees to apply for residence permit to live with someone in Sweden:

Adult over the age of 18:                  SEK 2,000  
Children under 18 years of age:         SEK 1,000

After the interview

After the interview, your case is transferred back to the Swedish Migration Agency. If you did not attend the interview or did not contact the Embassy to book an appointment in time, your case will be transferred to the Swedish Migration Agency and your application may be rejected.

Check the status of your application

Time to a decision

When the Swedish Migration Agency has decided in your case, you will be informed of this through the email stated in your application. The actual decision will be sent to your family member in Sweden if you have authorized him or her to represent you. Otherwise, you will be informed of the decision by the Embassy. The Embassy will contact you by sending an email or calling the telephone number you provided when you applied for the residence permit.

No decisions will be sent through e-mail.

If you are granted the residence permit

If you have been granted a residence permit and do not require a visa, you  can travel to Sweden once the residence permit application has been granted.  When in Sweden, book a time online at the Swedish Migration Agency's website to leave biometrics for the residence permit card. The card will then be sent to your address in Sweden.

If you need a visa to enter Sweden, the card is ordered automatically if you have submitted biometrics at the Embassy. If you have not submitted biometrics you should book an appointment for biometrics at the Embassy with an email to migration.singapore@gov.se. 

The residence permit card will be sent to the Embassy. This takes around 4-5 weeks. When it arrives to the Embassy you will receive an email to the email address stated in your application. You can collect your card without an appointment during our opening hours: Monday – Friday (except public holiday), 09.00 AM – 12:00. For identification purposes, please bring your passport.

Collection of residence permit cards by a third party

If you cannot be present at the Embassy to collect your residence permit card, you can authorize a third party to represent you. If you do so, provide an original signed power of attorney appointing someone else to collect the card on your behalf. A copy of the representative's passport or ID should be attached to the power of attorney to identify the representative on the applicant's behalf. 
Link to power of attorney document.