• English

Sweden & Seychelles

Applying for a residence permit to move to a family member in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. Applications for residence permits are submitted online to the Swedish Migration Agency, but you need to visit the Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi to conduct an interview.

How to apply

An application for residence permit submitted online goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency. A message will be sent to your email address when it is time to book an interview appoinment at the embassy. The Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi currently handles residence permit applications for citizens of the following countries: Kenya, Somalia, Comoros, Seychelles, Rwanda and Burundi.

Swedish Migration Agency online application

You can check the status of your application on the Swedish Migration Agency website. You can check the following: student permit, work permit, residence permit, residence  card, passport, Swedish citizenship and asylum applications.

Visit the embassy

All requests for interview appointments and other queries about residence permits should be sent by email to embassy.nairobi-visa@gov.se.

Application fees

You can find information on fees payable for residence permit applications here.

New law from 2016

As of 20 July 2016, a temporary act limits the possibility for close relatives of persons in need of protection with temporary residence permits to immigrate to Sweden. More detailed information about these regulations is available on the Swedish Migration Agency website.


The Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs has been informed that there might be individuals falsely representing the Swedish Migration Agency or the Embassy in certain countries. These individuals are claiming that it is possible e.g. through payment, to obtain an earlier appointment for an interview at the Embassy or that the applicants needs to pay an additional fee for booking an interview at a specific Embassy - sometimes even using official letterheads and pretending to be officials. Please note that the Swedish Embassies and Consulates General have nothing to do with any individuals who offer services for payment. All appointments for interviews for family reunification are made through the Embassies and are free of charge.  Please see Swedish Migration Agency webpage for more information.

Please contact the Embassy if you have any information that people are falsely representing Swedish authorities or if you suspect that somebody is trying to sell you services for additional charges (ambassaden.nairobi-visum@gov.se).