Sweden & Serbia

Information for third-country nationals staying in Serbia or in Montenegro

If you want to apply for migration services from the Swedish Embassy in Belgrade, you would need to prove that you live either in Serbia or in Montenegro. Otherwise you would be referred to the country where you legally reside.

You are hereby referred to the Article 6 of the Visa Code Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Visa Code) (europa.eu)

  1. An application shall be examined and decided on by the consulate of the competent Member State in whose jurisdiction the applicant legally resides.
  2. A consulate of the competent Member State shall examine and decide on an application lodged by a third-country national legally present but not residing in its jurisdiction, if the applicant has provided justification for lodging the application at that consulate.

The Embassy of Sweden provides migration services (e.g. submitting biometrics, ordering of residence permit cards, application for Schengen visa or residence permit, etc.) to the applicants who are citizens or established residents in the country where the Embassy of Sweden is situated or is a competent authority for. Established residents are persons who have had a residence permit in Serbia or Montenegro for at least 6 months.

Our practice is therefore limited solely to Serbian and Montenegrin citizens, or to established residents in these countries, without exceptions. Other inquiries have to be respectfully referred to other authorities.

If you are an established resident in Serbia or Montenegro and want to apply for Schengen visa in Belgrade, please send the copy of your Serbian/Montenegrin residence permit by email, and specify details of your and your immediate family members´ stay in Serbia or Montenegro: the grounds for your residence permit in Serbia/Montenegro, economy plan, place of stay, future plans after the intended trip to Sweden, etc. You would then be referred to either make a phone call and book time for your application, or to contact the Embassy of Sweden in the country where you legally reside.

Last updated 30 Aug 2023, 10.09 AM