Sweden & Serbia

Required documents

If you are a citizen of a country outside the EU/EEA and wish to move to a family member in Sweden who is not a citizen of the EU/EEA either, you will need the documents below.

If you apply online, you attach the documents electronically. If you want to submit the paper application, you should attach only photocopies of the required documentation to the application form. However, you have to present the originals of the documents when you visit the embassy for the interview. 

IMPORTANT: The person you are to live with in Sweden must be able to support you both. He or she must also have suitable accommodation in terms of size and standard, where you can live together when you move to Sweden. It is the Swedish Migratin Agency that will require proof of income and accomodation from your family member after the application is submitted. You cannot submit proof of maintenance at the embassy. More about the maintenance requirements can be read here: For close relatives of someone who is applying for a residence permit to live with you in Sweden - Swedish Migration Agency (migrationsverket.se).

If you apply on a paper form, you must take into consideration the following:

Since May 3rd 2021 it is possible to submit the application at the embassy, pay the fee and attach photocopies of the required documentation, but the interview will be performed only after the processing in Sweden.

  • You don´t have to submit your application in person, but the fee must be paid at the embassy. The application has to contain application forms, photopies of the required documentation and the fee.
  • The applicants have to sign the forms by themselves, and the forms for children have to be signed by the child's parent / guardian.
  • All supporting documents and forms must be submitted in the original form at the interview, only if the interview is booked.
  • The proof of maintenace requirement will be submitted in Sweden. The Swedish Migration Agency sends the request to your family member after your paper application is sent from the embassy to Sweden. The control of maintenance requierments may take time and can ultimately lead to rejection. Therefore we advise you to hand in your application electronically - in this way you and your partner can save time and correct possible shortages once they are detected.
  • The interview is demanded only for those persons whose family member in Sweden has met the maintenance requirements. 

Documents required for all applicants

You need:

  • A valid passport - if you used to travel to Sweden even with some other passports, please bring them as well to the interview, regardless of their condition
  • International birth certificate
  • If you are not applying online, you will need one photo 30x40 mm, a passport copy, the form Application for residence permit to settle in Sweden, form no. 161011, and the form Family details, no. 239011. See the section below for information about children.

If you want your family member in Sweden to represent you, you can give him or her power of attorney. If your family member has power of attorney, the decision will be sent to them, and it is his or her responsibility to inform you of the Migration Agency's decision. If you have not given power of attorney to anyone, the embassy will inform you of the decision. The form for the power of attorney can be found here.

Depending on the type of the relationship to your family member in Sweden, and in the cases where the application includes minors, additional documents are needed. See the list of documents in the section Additional documents.