• English

Sweden & Saudi Arabia

Working in Sweden

You must have been offered a job before you can obtain a work permit. Your work permit must have been granted before you leave for Sweden. If your job is for less than three months, you may also need a visa.

There are several different kinds of work permits, e.g. for artists, au pairs, berry pickers, visiting researchers, athletes and coaches. For details, read the information on the Swedish Migration Agency website. The website also describes what exemptions apply in the case of certain occupational groups working in Sweden for a limited period.

Swedish Migration Agency website

Citizens of the EU/EEA
As an EU citizen, you are entitled to work in Sweden without a work permit. Special rules apply if you have a residence permit and long-term resident status in another EU country.

Read more about the rules for EU/EEA citizens and long-term residents of an EU country on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website

Residence permit card
When granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card (UT-cards) which proves that you have permission to enter and be in Sweden. The card features a microchip that contains your fingerprints and photograph.

The card is valid for as long as your residence permit, but never for more than five years. For more information about UT-cards visit The Migration Agency's website Swedish Migration Agency.

Swedish Migration Agency website

When you apply for a residence permit at the Swedish Embassy in Riyadh your biometrics (photo, fingerprints and signature) are taken usually in connection with the lodging of the application and undergoing the interview. Have you applied for a residence permit electronically your biometry will be taken when you visit the Embassy to present the application documents in original and undergo an interview.

The general rule is that the residence permit must be granted, and the UT-card picked up before entering Sweden. It can take up to four weeks, from the time you have received your decision, for the card to be made and sent to the Embassy.

You can then pick up your UT-card in person and do not forget to bring your passport. You can also authorize (give power of attorney to) another person to receive the UT-card on your behalf. The power of attorney must be signed by the applicant / holder of permit and must be presented for the Embassy as well as a copy of the passport. You find the power of attorney at the top of this page. If you authorize DHL to pick up the card you must pay for the transportation costs yourself.

If you are citizen of Oman or Yemen you can choose to have your fingerprints and photo taken at any Swedish Embassy in the region (please visit the website of the Embassy you have chosen for information about openings hours and procedures).

Family members
If you obtain a permit to work in Sweden a family member (e.g. husband/wife and unmarried children under 21) may be granted a residence permit for the same period. If you receive a permit for at least six months, members of your family can also obtain work permits. Family members who are granted a residence permit need a residence permit card (see above).

Read more about residence permits for family members on the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Swedish Migration Agency website