• English

Sweden & Saudi Arabia

Visiting Sweden

If you want to visit Sweden and you are not a citizen of the EU/EEA, you may need a visa. A visa gives you permission to enter and stay in Sweden for a short period of time. It is valid throughout the Schengen area, but you should apply to the country that is the main destination of your journey. Follow the headings below to see the visa procedure and what is required.

List of countries whose citizens need a visa to visit Sweden can be found here.

Visas can be granted for such purposes as:

  • Business visits
  • Conference and Training course
  • Participation in cultural or sporting events
  • Visiting family and friends
  • Medical treatment
  • Tourism

You can submit your application at the earliest six months before your planned visit. Apply as far in advance as possible. An application for a Schengen visa must be submitted 15 days before the start of the intended visit. 

A visa can be granted for between 1 and 90 days. You have to make use of these days within a given time frame of six months at the most (period of validity).

How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and during which period, is stated on the permit attached to your travel document. Please note that the Embassy in some cases adds 15 days of validity to your visa to make your time more flexible, in case you have to postpone your trip. However, you are still only allowed to stay in the Schengen area for the amount of days stated on your sticker.

If you need to travel to Sweden often, you can ask to be given several entries. Such visas are valid for five years at the most. If the visa is for more than six months, you can stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days per six-month period.

A visa does not automatically mean you can enter the Schengen area. Entry checks are always made at external border points. It's always a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in you being denied entry.

It is the Embassy that decides whether you are to be granted a visa. In certain cases, the matter is referred to the Swedish Migration Agency for a decision.

Read more about visa applications in the menu below and on the Swedish Migration Agency website

Visits longer than 90 days

Visitor's permit

If you know that you will be staying in Sweden for more than 90 days, you should apply for a visitor's permit, not a Schengen visa. The visitor's permit is decided in accordance with national Swedish rules. 

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is taken. If the application is granted, residence permits are usually issued for between three and twelve months.

If you are to be granted a residence permit for a visit, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden, not to settle there. To be eligable for a visitor's permit you must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money for your return journey. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable, since medical costs can be high.

For more information and required documents to submit, please read on the Swedish Migration Agency website