• English

Sweden & Pakistan

Moving to Someone in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with your family or a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife, a common law spouse or a child (a minor).

Residence cards for family members of EU/EEA


The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency. 

Apply for a residence permit online

Your family member has to fill in a questionnaire. Once you have sent in your application, he or she will automatically receive an email with instructions. The family member must reply to the questions within two weeks.

Contact the Embassy once you have received an email from the Swedish Migration Agency to book an interview time. Once you receive a notification to book an interview with the Embassy, it means that the Swedish Migration Agency have gone through both your application and your family member’s replies, thus have transferred your case to the Embassy. To book an appointment for interview please click here

If you are unable to apply online, please ask your family member in Sweden to complete the electronic application form, attach copies of the requested documents, and pay an application fee (if applicable). 

If you cannot submit online, you can submit an application in person to the Swedish Embassy, you need to book an appointment for submission of your application prior to your visit. To book a time for submission of your application, please click here; 

Interview at the Embassy

Bring along your passport and the originals of the documents you attached to your application.

If you applied online, the Swedish Migration Agency may also have asked you to bring additional documents to the interview.

Children applying for a residence permit are also interviewed. If the child is too young or too immature, the person looking after the child is interviewed instead.

You need to have your photograph and fingerprints taken for the residence permit card you will receive if you are granted a residence permit. This also applies to children. 

After the interview

After the interview, your case is transferred back to the Migration Agency, in Sweden. If you have neither attended the interview nor made contact with the embassy, your case is nevertheless transferred to the Migration Agency in Sweden and your application may be rejected.

Check the status of your application

Processing time

How to receive your decision and residence permit card