• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

Visit for longer than 90 days

If you wish to visit Sweden for more than 90 days, you need to apply for a residence permit for visits. Residence permits for visits are usually issued for between four and twelve months.

An application for a visitor’s permit is always sent to the Swedish Migration Agency, where the decision is taken. You can only be granted a visitor’s permit if your purpose of the trip is to visit Sweden. Different permits are issued for those who intend to work (apply for a work permit) or move to someone (apply for a residence permit) in Sweden.

Please note that if you have already applied for a residence permit for a longer stay in Sweden, for example to reside there with a family member, the Migration Agency will only consider the residence permit application that is the most favourable for you. That means that you cannot be granted a residence permit for visits while waiting for your other residence permit application is being processed. If you have questions about this, please contact the Migration Agency.

Applying for a visitor’s permit

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Skopje (applicants residing in North Macedonia, Albania and Kosovo). Apply and pay the application fee by
using this e-service.
When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Skopje. During this visit you will show your passport and conclude your application with an interview. You will also give your fingerprints and have your photo taken.

Last updated 20 Dec 2023, 10.50 AM