• English

Sweden & North Macedonia

Visa for family members of EU/EEA citizens

As a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their right of free movement in accordance with Directive 2004/38/EC you have the right to travel to the EU/EEA-area together with your family member or join to them in the area to settle there.

If an EU/EEA citizen has spent more than three months in Sweden they need to fulfill one of the following requirements to have the right of residence in Sweden:
- He/she is working or is has his/her own company in Sweden
- Is applying for a job in Sweden and has a real possibility to receive an employment
- The person is studying in Sweden
- The person has enough financial means to support himself/herself and his/her family.

Note that a tourist trip is not considered as exercising of the right of free movement.

PLEASE NOTE that Swedish citizens living in Sweden are NOT exercising EU treaty rights and therefore they do NOT hold a right of residence based on Directive 2004/38/EC in their home country, unless they have recently moved back to Sweden from another EU/EEA country where they have exercised their right of residence.

Family members are:
- Spouse/partner/common law spouse
- The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 and the children of the spouse or partner.
- The direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner who are economically dependent on the EEA citizen.
- Other family members who are dependent on an EEA citizen for his/her support, or is part of the EEA citizen's household, or whom an EEA citizen is required to take care of personally, for serious health reasons.

Basic facts

You can apply for a short-stay Schengen visa (type C) which will permit you to enter and stay in Sweden and the Schengen area for up to 90 days.

If you wish to remain in Sweden for more than 90 days as a family member of an EU/EEA citizen exercising their free movement rights, you must apply (when in the Member State) for a Residence Card of a family member of a EU/EEA citizen. Information about how to apply is available on the Swedish Migration Agency webpage .

Visit the embassy

Please contact the embassy at ambassaden.skopje-migration@gov.se ​ to book an appointment to apply for a visa. State clearly that you are a family member of an EEA citizen and attach documentation showing the relation, for example birth or marriage certificate.

All family members of an EU or EEA national applying for a visa must at submit the following obligatory supporting documents at the appointment at the Embassy:
- Application form (application form no. 119031, Application for Schengen Visa).
- Your passport or travel document. Make sure that your passport has at least two blank pages.
- Proof of relation with the family member in Sweden. For example, marriage certificate or birth certificate.
- Copy of the EU / EEA national's passport or national identity card
- If you are a dependent family member you must submit documents showing your dependence.
- "Personbevis" for the EEA-citizen from Skatteverket.

Please note that a family member of an EU or EEA citizen does NOT have to pay an application fee for Schengen visa.

Additional documents

In addition to the documents listed above there might be, depending on the EU/ EEA-citizen's circumstances, some additional documents required showing your family member's situation.

If your family member is a citizen of Denmark, Norway, Finland or Iceland you must also provide documents showing your family member fulfil the criteria for having a right to residence in Sweden in accordance with the regulations in Directive 2004/38/EC. These documents could, depending on the situation, be a work contract and pay slips, a study certificate or documents showing your family member has sufficient income or bank assets to support themselves.

It is generally not necessary to submit any other documents, although the Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with valid travel insurance.

More information

Directive 2004/38/EC

Swedish Migration Agency on EES family members

Last updated 08 Mar 2024, 1.51 PM