• English

Sweden & Latvia

Moving to Sweden as an EU citizen

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. The right of EU/EEA citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. You have right of residence if you are employed, self-employed, a student or have sufficient means to support yourself. If you have right of residence in Sweden you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency.

If you move to Sweden from abroad and plan to live there for one year or more, you will usually be required to be listed in the Swedish Population Register. This means you will be registered as resident in Sweden. The Swedish Tax Agency will record details such as your name, address, date of birth and civil status. Once you are registered as resident in Sweden, you will receive a Swedish personal identity number. The Swedish Tax Agency decides whether or not you meet the registration requirements. To register in the Swedish population register and obtain a Swedish personal identity number, you need to contact the Swedish Tax Agency.