• English

Sweden & Kenya


If you have received a negative decision in your Schengen visa application, you have the possibility to appeal. The Embassy will review your case and either change it or send it to the Migration Court in Luleå.

How to appeal

To appeal against the decision made on your visa case, you should write a letter in Swedish or English. Further information is available on the last page in the decision document.

Your appeal letter should state:

Which decision you wish to appeal, how you want the decision to be changed, your name, date of birth, postal address, email address and telephone number. You can submit any supporting documents that you wish to add to your case with the appeal.

Your appeal should be submitted to the Embassy of Sweden in Nairobi through post or e-mail.

If someone else (other than you, the applicant) appeals on your behalf, that person must be authorised to represent you (power of attorney). The power of attorney document must be signed by you and submitted together with your appeal.

After sending the appeal

After receiving your appeal, it is the Embassy that initially decides whether to change the decision. The Embassy will verify that the appeal came in on time and review the case again. If more than 3 weeks have passed since you were given your decision/took part of the decision, the appeal will be rejected; in that case you will have to submit a new visa application.

If the Embassy changes the decision

The decision can be changed if new information comes in or if the Embassy considers the decision to be wrong. If the Embassy finds that the decision should be changed, you will be contacted. If your original travel date has passed, you will be asked for a new flight itinerary and insurance. You will also be asked to submit your passport to have the entry visa affixed in your passport. In that case you will be notified, and the entry visa placed in your passport.

If the Embassy does not change the decision, it will be forwarded

If the appeal came in on time and the Embassy sees no reason to change the decision, the case will be forwarded to the Migration Court as soon as possible. Your application, the decision, and all other documents submitted in the case will be sent to the Administrative Court in Luleå. The Administrative Court then decides and notifies you at the address you specified in the application or in the appeal.

After the case has been handed over to the court, all questions about the case should be addressed to them. You can find their contact information here. Please note that the Embassy does not notify applicants about negative court decisions. If the court changes the Embassy's decision and grants a visa, you will be contacted to have your visa issued.

How long will it take

After receiving the appeal, if the Embassy wants to change its decision, you will be contacted in a few days.

If the Embassy decides not to change its decision and forwards it to the Migration Court in Sweden, the waiting time will be longer. Questions about the Migration Court's waiting times cannot be answered by the Embassy but should be addressed directly to the Court.


Last updated 06 May 2024, 12.02 PM