Sweden & Iran

Moving to someone in Sweden

In order to join your family or relative in Sweden, you must have a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you, or your close relative in Sweden, are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). For more information please visit the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Regarding Residence permit applications for Syrian citizens:

The Swedish Embassy in Tehran does not handle applications from Syrian citizens who are not legally residing in Iran. This is in line with regulation UF 2016:3. Applications and interviews for Syrian citizens are handled by the Swedish Embassies or consulates in Amman, Istanbul, Ankara, Abu Dhabi, Riyadh, Khartoum and Cairo.

Applying for a residence permit

The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency website.

If you are unable to apply online yourself, you can ask your family members in Sweden to fill out the electronic application form, attach copies of documents and pay any application fee on your account. 

Swedish Migration Agency website

If you are not still able to apply online, you need to book an appointment at the Embassy and then submit the application documents to the Embassy in person at the appointed time.

For more information about how to apply, required documents, application fee and waiting time please visit Swedish Migration Agency website.

If you apply at the Embassy you need to pay the application fee in Rials to the Embassy's bank account. For more information please check Fees.

Interview at the Embassy

After submitting your application, when the Migration Agency has reviewed your application and requested a personal interview, you could be asked to book an appointment for an interview at the Embassy. Then you can book an appointment at the Embassy for interview.

Please note that when you visit the Embassy for interview, you should bring the original of all your documents and translations to the Embassy.

Receiving the decision

If you have applied online, you will receive an email when the decision is made. Then you can book an appointment at the Embassy to receive the decision documentation. You need to bring your passport when collecting the decision.

If you have applied at the Embassy, the Swedish Migration Agency's decision will be sent to your family member in Sweden, if you have authorised him or her to represent you. You can also check your case status at the Migration Agnecy's website.

To receive the decision documentation at the Embassy, you must book an appointment .

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will be issued a residence permit card. For more information about residence permit cards please see Residence permit card.

Basic information about: Moving to someone in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more