• English

Sweden & Iceland

Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. Other rules apply if you or the close relative in Sweden are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a residence permit.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online over the Internet. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Board and is given priority, if completed in full.

The Swedish Migration Board website provides information about what is required to obtain a residence permit, as well as the possibility of completing an online application.

Swedish Migration Board website


The Swedish Embassy in Reykjavik does not accept applications or handle migration cases.

Basic information about: Moving to someone in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more