• English

Sweden & Ethiopia

Studying in Sweden

In order to study in Sweden, you must have a residence permit. It could be different permit depending on the duration of the study and at what level you will be studying. If you are planning to study in Sweden, the website Studyinsweden.se (www.studyinsweden.se) is your one-stop information center for higher education studies in Sweden. The purpose of Studyinsweden.se is to provide international students wishing to study in Sweden with a convenient and comprehensive information resource.

How to apply

The easiest and quickest way to apply is online at Migration Agency’s website

If you are unable to apply online you can apply at the Embassy. To do so send an e-mail with a booking request to the Embassy (ambassaden.addis-abeba-visum@gov.se). After you have applied the Embassy will send your application to the Migration Agency which will take a decision. 


If you apply at the Embassy please bring the following documents:

  • First-Time application for a residence permit for students and doctoral students (form number 113011).
  • Your passport. 
  • Notice of admission from an institution of learning in Sweden that shows that you have been definitively admitted to full-time studies on a program or courses that require your presence in Sweden. Full-time study means 30 higher education points per term.
  • The decision on admission as a doctoral student with information about the time of admission (if you are a doctoral student).
  • Copy of documents showing that you have comprehensive health insurance in Sweden (if you are admitted to studies for less than one year). If you have an insurance through the university or college, you must send confirmation of such. If your notice of admission indicates that you are covered by a health insurance from the university or college and you apply through our web application, you can instead attach your admission letter as proof of health insurance.
  • Bank statement showing that you have the means to support yourself. This bank statement, which you are to enclose to your application, should be dated in connection with the time of application and be translated into English or
  • Documents issued in your name, showing that you have received a scholarship or similar (e.g. student aid), including information about the monthly amount and the period during which you will receive such funds or
  • Documents proving that you have been awarded an educational grant (only applies to doctoral students) or have been employed as a doctoral student, with information regarding the amount and the period during which you will receive such funds.
  • If you need permission from the central bank or equivalent in order to bring money out of your country, you should also enclose such a permit.
  • Application fee if you should pay. 



Basic information about: Studying in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more