• English

Sweden & Ethiopia

Moving to someone in Sweden

Basic facts

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit. It must be ready before you enter Sweden. Other rules apply to citizens of an EU/EEA country other than Sweden. Please check the Migration Agency’s website for more information for family members of EU/EEA citizen.

Close relatives are defined as:

  • Anyone who is, or is to become, a husband/wife, registered partner or common-law spouse (cohabitee)
  • Children under 18 and their parents.

Other relatives may only be granted a residence permit in exceptional cases.

It is the Swedish Migration Agency that considers your right to a residence permit. For a full description of what rules apply, please check the Swedish Migration Agency website.

The easiest way to apply for residence permits is by applying online at the Swedish Migration Agency. If you have applied online you should wait to book an appointment for an interview until the Migration Agency asks you to do so.

You can also submit your application directly to the Embassy.

Residence permit card

If you are granted a residence permit, you will receive a residence permit card. This card is proof that you have a residence permit. 

Basic information about: Moving to someone in Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more