Sweden & Estonia

Moving to someone in Sweden

An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, self-employed person, a provider or recipient of services, a student or a person who has sufficient funds to support himself/herself, has a right to reside in Sweden. If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to work in Sweden, you will probably need to obtain a work permit.

Sweden is a member of the European Union (EU). The following countries also belong to the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain. The European Economic Area (EEA) agreement ensures that citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway also enjoy freedom of movement within the EU countries.

You do not need to apply for a work  permit if you:

  *   have a permanent residence permit in Sweden
  *   have a residence permit to attend a college or university in Sweden
  *   have a special residence permit to work as a visiting researcher in Sweden
   *   are an asylum seeker and have an AT-UND (exemption from the obligation to  hold a work permit)
  *   are a citizen of an EU country.