• English

Sweden & Canada

Visiting Sweden (more than 90 days)

All foreign nationals – including Canadian citizens – who plan to visit Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit before entering the country. Kindly observe that the permit needs to be applied for and granted ahead of traveling to Sweden.

Visitors permit, more than 90 days

An application for a visitor's permit is always sent to the Migration Agency in Sweden, where the decision is made. If the application is granted, a residence permit is usually issued for more than three months and up to twelve months.

In order to be granted a residence permit to visit Sweden, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden and not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money to buy one. A medical travel insurance is compulsory.

Apply online

Applications for visitor's permits are handed in digitally. This applies only to persons that are outside Sweden and will make your application at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa (applicants residing in Canada). Apply and pay the application fee by using this e-service.

When you conclude your application in the e-service, you will be directed to a page where you book an appointment for a physical visit at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa. During this visit you will show your passport and/or conclude your application with an interview.

For processing time, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency´s website

If you are a Canadian Citizen you are to submit the biometric data for the residence permit card in Sweden.

If you require a visa in order to travel to Sweden, you will have to submit the biometric data at the Embassy and receive your residence permit card before entering Sweden.

Last updated 14 Feb 2024, 1.22 AM