All foreign nationals – including Canadian citizens – who plan to visit Sweden for more than 90 days need to obtain a residence permit before entering the country. Kindly observe that the permit needs to be applied for and granted ahead of traveling to Sweden.
Visitors permit, more than 90 days
This application needs to be submitted in person (appoitment needed) or by regular post/ courier to the Embassy in Ottawa.
Please submit 2 copies of the following documents:
• Residence Permit for visitor’s application form (#165011), completed, signed and dated, including detailed contact information.
• Invitation form (#249011) and copy of the referent persons ID/passport.
• Copies of the pages of your passport that show your identity and the validity of your passport. Also include copies of any other permits in your passport.
• Bank statement.
• Return ticket, or the equivalent in funds for a return ticket.
• A confirmation letter from your insurance company stating clearly that you have international insurance for
- any emergency medical expenses
- emergency hospital treatment
- repatriation for medical reasons
Minimum coverage must be EUR 30,000 and the coverage has to be valid for the entire duration of the trip. If your insurance company cannot provide such a letter, you must find an international insurance that does.
Please note that an insurance card is not sufficient proof of coverage. You must have proof of the above items.
• Application fee, in the form of one money order payable to the Embassy of Sweden. Application fees can be found in the list of Embassy fees.
• Additional document(s) depending on reason to visit. Please contact the Embassy for more information.
The Embassy will register the complete application and forward them to the Migration Agency in Sweden, who will process and take a decision in the application.
In most cases the visitor's permit application require an interview at the Embassy in Ottawa. When you have received your notification from the Migration Agency to schedule your interview, please contact the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa.
For processing time, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency´s website
If you are granted a residence permit and you are a Canadian Citizen you are able to submit the biometric data for the residence permit card in Sweden.
If you require a visa in order to travel to Sweden, you will have to submit the biometric data at the Embassy and receive your residence permit card before entering Sweden.