• English

Sweden & Canada

Moving to someone in Sweden

You need a residence permit to join your family or a relative in Sweden.  Information about what is required and how to apply can be found on the website of the Swedish Migration Agency.

Make sure to read and follow all instructions regarding required documents. Missing documents could delay the process.

If an interview is required for your application, you will receive an email from the Migration Agency asking you to book an appointment at the Embassy in Ottawa. In Canada all interviews have to take place in person at the Embassy of Sweden in Ottawa.

Please note that the permit should be applied for and granted ahead of going to Sweden. It is possible to visit Sweden temporarily while your residence permit is processed. However, please note that if you are in Sweden while a decision in your residence application is taken, you run the risk of having the permit denied. If you are planning to visit Sweden temporarily during an active residence application process, please consult with the Migration Agency ahead of any traveling. 

It is the Migration Agency that process and take decision in this type of permit application. Shall you require further information or clarification you need to contact the Migration Agency directly.

Last updated 27 Oct 2021, 2.11 PM