Sweden & Bosnia and Herzegovina

Visiting Sweden

If you would like to visit Sweden and are a citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina you do not need a visa. The visa-free entry into the Schengen area requires that you have a biometric passport. The visa free regime does not allow for living or working in the EU. For long-term studies, longer than 90 days, a residence permit is also required. Citizens of other countries outside the EU/EEA with a residence permit in  Bosnia and Herzegovina can apply for a Schengen visa to visit Sweden. You apply to the country in the Schengen area that is the main destination.

Visa free regime for citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina

The visa free travel allows you to spend up to 90 days in the Schengen area every 6 months. The six-month periods are counted from the first entry into the Schengen area. For example, if your first entry was February 1, then you can spend a total of 90 days in the Schengen countries for the next 6 months, until July 31st.

You can use these 90 days during one visit or within multiple trips, but it is
important to take into account the number of days you spent in the Schengen countries. After 90 days spent, you must leave the Schengen area until the 6 months after your first entry expire. Then the next six month cycle begins for you, where you can spend 90 days in the Schengen countries again. Click on the following link in order to calculate the travel days remaining. 

Below you can find information on how to apply for a work permit or residence permit and how to go to Sweden for studies.

Schengen visa for citizens with residence permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina

A Schengen visa can be granted for business visits, participation in cultural or sports events, visits to relatives and friends and for tourism if you have a residence permit in Bosnia and Herzegovina.  You can submit your application at the earliest six months before your planned visit. Usually you get your decision within two weeks, but in some cases the Embassy is required to consult the other Member States, which means that the processing time take longer.

How many days you are allowed to stay in the Schengen area, and for how long altogether, is stated on the permit sticker attached to your travel document. A visa does not automatically mean you can enter the Schengen area. Entry checks are always made at external border points. So it is a good idea to bring along copies of the documents you submitted when applying for a visa. Border controls may result in you being denied entry.

Below you can find information on how to apply for a visa, a work permit or residence permit and how to go to Sweden for studies.

Visits longer than 90 days

If you know when applying that you will need to stay in Sweden for longer than 90 days, you should apply not for a Schengen visa but for a residence permit for a visit. Such permits are decided in accordance with national Swedish rules. This means, for instance, that visa facilitation agreements do not apply.

An application for a residence permit for a visit is always sent to the Migration Board in Sweden, where the decision is taken. If the application is granted, residence permits are usually issued for between three and twelve months.

If you are granted a residence permit for a visit or a national visa, the purpose of the trip must be to visit Sweden, not to settle there. You must have the means to support yourself throughout your stay, and you must possess either a return ticket or enough money for your return journey. Medical travel insurance is not compulsory, but it is advisable, since medical costs can be high.


From December 15 2010, citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina can travel to Schengen without a Visa, where they can spend 90 days within a period of six motnhs, i.e. 180 days. If you have already used a certain number of days in Schengen, you can calculate the rest of the days you can spend in Schengen via the following link 


Appli­ca­tion fees for entry visas and visi­tor's permit

Appli­ca­tion fees for entry visas and visi­tor's permit - Migrationsverket

Basic information about: Visiting Sweden

Basic information applicable to all countries is available here. In some countries, additional conditions also apply – for more information, select a country from the 'Select Country Here' drop-down list.

Read more