Travel to Singapore

Checklist: Order Swedish ID no/Coordination no – register a child

The Embassy will order a coordination number for newborns and persons who have never had a Swedish passport, national ID card or been registered with the Swedish Population Register. It is necessary to have a coordination number before you can apply for a passport/national ID card. If the parents/guardians have not registered the name of the child, this will be done at the same time.

Please note that in order to visit the Embassy of Sweden in Singapore you will have to book an appointment for consular matters including submitting an application for co-ordination number. In order to book an appointment please click HERE

Please note: For a child born before 1 April 2015 to a Swedish father and a non-Swedish mother and where the parents are not legally married they must first submit an application for Swedish citizenship.

The Embassy will only order a coordination number if you intend to apply for a Swedish passport/national ID card via the Embassy in Singapore. If you intend to apply for a passport/national ID card in Sweden, you should apply for the coordination number in Sweden. This is done through the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). The Embassy is only able to order coordination numbers for Swedish citizens.

To apply for a Swedish ID number the following is required:

  1. One parent must come in person, together with the child

  2. Completed application form SKV7750. If the child/applicant is 18 years or older, the applicant must complete and sign the form themselves. If the child is between 12-17 years old, the child must sign the form together with the parents. 

  3. Birth certificate, where both parent’s names appear (if available, both "Notification of live-birth" and "Certificate of registration of birth").

  4. Marriage certificate if the parents of the child/applicant are/were married.

  5. Both parent’s passports. The Swedish parent must bring a valid Swedish passport or national ID card.

  6. Both parent’s Singaporean employment pass/dependent pass

  7. If the child/applicant has another citizenship, the Embassy needs to see proof of that.

  8. If the mother is a Swedish citizen and registered in Sweden but gives birth abroad, a pregnancy certificate (doctor or equivalent must certify that the mother carried the child) must also be submitted.

  9. All documents must be in original

The above documents are forwarded by the embassy to the Swedish Tax Agency which registers the child and assigns a coordination number. The Swedish Tax Agency's processing time can be up to two months. Only when the coordination number is registered the passport application for the child can be made.

The application is free of charge.

If you have already obtained a coordination number, new rules apply from June 18, 2021

After June 18, 2021, a coordination number has different statuses:

  • Active
  • Declared inactive

A coordination number is declared inactive at the end of the fifth calendar year if no notification or application for renewal has been received by the Tax Agency.

If you already have a passport, it will be valid until the last day of validity even if the coordination number is declared inactive. When you apply for a new passport, the Embassy can assist with the application to activate the coordination number.

For information on the status of your coordination number and when it will be declared inactive, please contact the Swedish Tax Agency, which is the responsible authority.

If you have a coordination number and change your contact address, you must report the new address to the Swedish Tax Agency. It can either be an address in Sweden or an address in another country, but not both.

You also need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency if you change personal information such as name or citizenship.

You can find more about coordination numbers on the Tax Agency's website

For those of you who live in Singapore
The Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority requests that you register a newborn within 42 days of the child's birth. For more information sees ICA’s homepage .

If you do not intend to apply for a Swedish passport for your child
It is important to report the birth to the Swedish Tax Agency. This is done by submitting the name application form SKV 7750. Send the form directly to the Swedish Tax Agency together with a birth certificate and copies of the parents' passports.