• English

Sweden & Vietnam

Applying for a residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

If you want to move to Sweden to live with a close relative, you need a residence permit.

Other rules apply if you, or the close relative in Sweden, are citizens of an EU/EEA country (other than Sweden). A close relative may for instance be a husband or wife or a child (a minor).


The easiest way to apply for a residence permit is to apply online. An online application goes directly to the Swedish Migration Agency.

Swedish Migration Agency web application

If you are still unable or do not want to apply online, you can submit an application at the Swedish Embassy. Then you need to make an appointment at the Embassy.

Required documents

Read about which documents are required and how to apply step by step in the menu below.